Dr. Mingyuan Zheng is the head of Biomass to Ethylene Glycol Group, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics (DICP), CAS. He studied at Jilin University in 1993-1997 and got the BS degree. In the following two years, he worked at National Engineering and Technology Research Center for Catalysis. In 1999-2005, he pursued his doctoral degree under the Prof Tao Zhang’s supervision at DICP, and then started work there after graduation till now; In 2007, he went to University of Delaware, US, for a short term visiting study.
As a principle inventor, in 2008, he first discovered and reported the novel process of “Catalytic conversion of cellulose to ethylene glycol over tungsten carbide catalysts”. His current research interest focuses on biomass conversion to low-carbon polyols and high-value chemicals, synthesis and applications of high-performance hydrogenation catalysts. He has undertaken many projects from NSFC and international/domestic companies. He has published more than 50 peer-reviewed papers in widely circulated journals, such as Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Energy Environ. Sci., ACS Catal., J. Catal., Green Chem., ChemSusChem, AIChE J., and Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. He has filed more than 60 Chinese patents (>30 of them have been granted), and more than 10 PCT patents.
☆ Catalytic conversion of biomass to low carbon diols.
☆ Catalytic conversion of ethanol to high value chemicals.
☆ Synthesis of high-performance hydrogenation catalysts and their applications.
Five recent publications:
1. M Zheng, J Pang, R Sun, A Wang, T Zhang*, Selectivity Control for Cellulose to Diols: Dancing on Eggs, ACS Catal., 2017, 7, 1939–1954.
2. G Zhao, M Zheng*, R Sun, Z Tai, J Pang, A Wang, X Wang, T Zhang*, Ethylene glycol production from glucose over W-Ru catalysts: Maximizing yield by kinetic modeling and simulation, AIChE J,2016, DOI: 10.1002/aic.15589.
3. R Sun, M Zheng*, J Pang, X Liu, J Wang, X Pan, A Wang, X Wang, T Zhang* Selectivity-Switchable Conversion of Cellulose to Glycols over Ni–Sn Catalysts, ACS Catal., 2016, 1, 191–201.
4. M Zheng, A Wang, N Ji, J Pang, X Wang, T Zhang*, Transition metal–tungsten bimetallic catalysts for the conversion of cellulose into ethylene glycol. ChemSusChem, 2010, 3, 63–66. Cited > 180 times up to 2017/3.
5. N Ji, T Zhang*, M Zheng, A Wang, H Wang, X Wang, J Chen*, Direct catalytic conversion of cellulose into ethylene glycol using Ni-promoted tungsten carbide catalysts. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2008, 47, 8510–8513. Cited > 520 times up to 2017/3.